Thursday, June 10, 2010

Happiest Baby Ever, Or Whatever

 So Tuesday night was "How to take care of a real live baby" class.   We practiced swaddling, diapering, burping, bathing, and generally caring for a newborn.  I bet we got a B; a B as in "Better than expected"...  Although, we were using dolls which are infinitely less squirmy (and less alive) then real newborns.  So there you have it.

Yea it was an ok class.  My biggest qualm was due to the instructor.  She was a retired NICU nurse, mother of 6, grandmother of 11, and a certified "happiest baby ever" or something instructor.  She kept on eluding to the fact that she had all these magical tricks to soothe un-soothable babies.  She did not share any of these magical tricks with the class.  She said "Sign up and pay for my Happiest Baby Ever, Or Whatever class and then maybe I'll teach you... if you're lucky."   Maybe she didn't say that in so many words, but still, that was what she meant...  Anyone know any of those magical tricks??

Also, in the past week and a half I've been asked by 3 complete strangers whether or not I'm going to have an epidural.  Complete Strangers.  "So you're getting pretty close there, huh?!" (sly grin)  "yes, yes I am." (weak smile)  "So, you going to have a natural birth or have an epidural?" (judgmental raised eyebrows look) "...yeaaa, I'm just going to see how things go" (piercing "mind your own business" glare.)  and at this point sometimes the conversation is over and sometimes the stranger launches into their own birth/man-birth story like I care to hear all about it.  I do not.  I do not like this person who thinks this is an OK question to ask a complete stranger.  Sheesh, I mean if I know you, that's one thing (even if I've known you for like 20 minutes, it may be a different story), but a complete stranger?!

Ahem.  In other Lena news, today is 1 month til her official due date!  However, we are very anxious to meet her so we're telling her to please come early.  I had an OB appointment today and the midwife says she's like 6lbs and in the proper position.  yay.  And also, all those milkshakes worked 'cause I put on 5lbs since my last appointment 2 weeks ago... unfortunately, now I'm addicted to milkshakes.

5 comments:

sheryl said...

hahahaha.....im sure dave knows some good tricks for babies! he will share them with you for FREE. And eat the milkshakes guilt free...its for LENA...she probably loves them as much as you=)

Anonymous said...

so, are you gonna have an epidural?

sugargems said...

be rude to strangers & enjoy the milkshakes... they're almost as good as epidurals :)

BML said...

Kim - the "Happiest Baby" stuff is based on a series by Dr. Harvey Karp - called "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Granted, I do not yet have progeny, but have employed the method with Dewey as a newborn, and would swear by it with my own. I think there's a book, and I know there's a video. Go get it from the library and tell the NICU nurse to take her class fee and stick it in her you-know-where.

Oh yeah - and next time a stranger touches you/asks you inappropriate questions, follow up with a few of your own. "Yes, I am due soon! Maybe our babies can be friends!" "I don't know about the epidural with labor, but if I could have one now, I'd use it it get rid of a pain in the ass like you!"

XOXO.

B.

Aunt Laura said...

Hey Kim....this was your funniest blog entry yet!!!!!!
And you're right....just see how things progress and
play out as labor will inevitably start some time in the
near future.....that you can be sure of!!!!