Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Important Information and a Name Discussion

A July 10th due-date it is! Whew, and that's only 7 months away!!! I had my first Doctor's appointment on Monday and they informed me of many things: #1- Who knew that women are now considered pregnant for 10 months and not 9?? When did that happen? #2- due dates are 95% wrong. #3- I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant. #4- I've actually lost weight since my last visit to the doctors, which is pretty discouraging especially since my belly is getting bigger, but that could just be the 2 Devildogs I ate last night and the Yodels I'm eating now... are Hostess Cakes a valid craving?? and #5- the world is full of very dangerous things for unborn babies... things that I would normally consider very friendly and non-threatening like tuna and feta cheese and italian subs... suddenly they are my worst nightmare. (I wonder why Devildogs aren't on that list...)

Ok, next topic. Names. Oh man, there so many to choose from- how does anyone ever make a decision?! The last time I was in a bookstore I counted approximately 3,829 different baby name books all with titles like
The Best Baby name Book EVER! and The Coolest Names for the Coolest Kids and If You Don't Get Your Name from This Book Your Kid Will Be a Looser! wow. talk about pressure. Now, it is a bit early for us to be set on any name yet, but Mike and I have started the discussions and I actually own 2 baby name books myself: Baby Names: A New Generation which does sound a bit Star Trek-ish, and The Baby Name Wizard. I really like that second one, mailed to me by a mom of three so she should know a thing or two about naming babies. But here's my question: If you pick a name the kid doesn't end up liking, are you dooming them to a life of self-loathing?! And what if 10 minutes after you've had and named your baby a horrible celebrity comes onto the scene with that exact name? Ugh, a life of association to lameness. And what about the fact that all kids in school get organized alphbetically?- What if they should have had a G name and you gave them an S one instead? That could screw up their ENTIRE LIFE!

Ok, honestly, I'm not worried about any of these things. I tend to belong to the group that says "If I want to name my daughter Mergatroid, she'll just have to deal." Ok, I don't quite belong to that group either, but I'm just saying, sheesh there are a lot of things to worry about if you're so inclined....

and that's it for today.

2 comments:

jess said...

mergy for short. aunty ja ja loves it!!! :-)

sheryl said...

Jess your not Aunt JA JA your Aunt Ji Ji !!! shesh!